Sunday, August 21, 2011

the 30-day writing challenge

I just realized that I've been posting two snippets of (semi-)fiction without actually explaining fully. Hehe. Anyhoo, I'm copy-pasting the "mechanics" below, set by Macky and her friend. I was tagged to join the challenge last night, which I... well, accepted.

To those interested to join, read on:

This is a spin-off, if you will, of the 30-day challenges that we've been seeing around.  For the moment, Macky and I are going for a 10-day challenge, which is apparently more or less the minimum number of days for a person to establish some kind of habit.  The goal is to produce 200-500 words a day, the sum of these words being "literary" in nature (rather than the everyday kind of blogging that we do too easily), ranging from poetry to prose, from self-contained vignettes to parts of a book project.  And as Macky has clarified, this is a challenge, not a contest; the only reward we're going to get is the chance to agonize over the creation of a poem or a story that people can only love, hate or ignore.  And who wants that, really?

We do, I suppose.  So in my case I'm going to work on parts of a short story that I've never gotten around to beginning.  Since this is a work-in-progress, I beg your indulgence.  And if you've been tagged, that means we're waiting for you to take part.

No comments: