Monday, March 09, 2009

15 albums

Tagged by Tris (via Facebook).

Think of 15 albums that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life or the way you looked at it. They sucked you in and took you over for days, weeks, months, years. These are the albums that you can use to identify time, places, people, emotions. These are the albums that no matter what they were thought of musically shaped your world. When you finish, tag 15 others, including me. Make sure you copy and paste this part so they know the drill.
  1. OST, Walt Disney's Beauty and the Beast - the first album I ever listened to repeatedly. And sang and danced to (my sister and I alternate as Belle). LOL!

  2. VA, The Best of Mozart - the first album I ever owned. Fell in love with "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" during 6th grade. Introduced me to the world of classical music.

  3. ABBA, Gold: The Greatest Hits - what Pinoy household doesn't own one? LOL. We even have the 2nd volume of this...

  4. Alanis Morissette, Jagged Little Pill - the first album I ever bought on my own. A couple of days later, Alanis was rumored to have died in a car crash.

  5. Spice Girls, Spice - after I bought this album, rumors circulated that 3 of the 5 Spice Girls were actually men. *sigh* Anyway, this album shaped practically my entire high school life. A must have for all the badings in my school. LOL. (For the straight guys, the must-have album was Boyzone's A Different Beat. Yep, it's either "2 Become 1" or "Words" in Music class.)

  6. Mariah Carey, Butterfly; Celine Dion, Falling Into You; Thalia, En Extasis - the divas of my high school. I know I'm cheating by listing 3 albums in one number but I can't separate them. Hehe. After all, I did perform "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" and "Maria la del Barrio" in class, while I realized I can have a career in rapping with "Breakdown"...

  7. 98 Degrees, 98 Degrees and Rising - this started my love affair (and stalker tendencies) with boy bands. Blame it on Jeff Timmons' hunkiness in the "Because of You" video.

  8. Westlife, Westlife - same reason as above. This also has one of my favorite songs ever: "Can't Lose What You Never Had".

  9. Blue, All Rise - same reason as above (again). But to the next level (think Web sites, fan letters, contest entries, hotel stays, etc.)! But on a deeper note, this also introduced me to a couple of the greatest friends I've ever known.

  10. VA, Disco Fiasco! - I'm not even sure if this is a real album, considering someone just bought me one for P100. Probably some pirated compilation. LOL! Anyway, this started my love affair with '70's disco music, which has the gayest songs ever: "I Will Survive", "I'm Coming Out", etc.

  11. OST, Hairspray: Original Broadway Cast Recording - started my love affair with Broadway musicals during college. This was also around the time Miss Saigon came to town (and I got to see it!), and "Seasons of Love" from Rent became so popular it became so annoying.

  12. OST, Chicago: Music From The Motion Picture Soundtrack - same reason as above. After all, it's success and eventual Oscar win revived the movie musicals. Sorry, Moulin Rouge. ;-P

  13. VA, American Idol Season 3: Greatest Soul Classics - those following this pop culture phenomenon have to admit: those theme nights (re)introduced us to some of the greatest songs, right? Hehe. AI was instrumental for me really appreciating the "classics" like Barry Manilow, The Bee Gees, or Motown tunes, as well as the more "current" ones I may not have given the time of day (e.g., KT Tunstall, Maroon 5, etc.).

  14. Mandy Moore, Coverage - despite the weird way her lips move when she sings, she was my favorite (then) pop princess, over Britney, Christina, and Jessica. The fact that she can act okay helps too (see: The Princess Diaries, Because I Said So). Hehe. Oh, and I love her version of "Drop the Pilot". Her Best of Mandy Moore also rocks, BTW.

  15. Il Divo, Ancora - (re)introduced me to classical music, despite this group being more of the pop/vocal crossover. I should've put here their self-titled debut album but Ancora has the songs like "Pour Que Tu M'aimes Encore" and "Heroe", so... *shrugs*

No comments: