Thursday, June 07, 2012

lucy in the sky


Writing Challenge, Day 6


So I wasn't able to write yesterday because I fell asleep the instant my head hit the pillow (lesson: don't try to lie down even when it's still 9PM).


Anyway, I kinda hit a wall with the Bryan story so to reset/recharge, I'm trying this three-minute fiction by NPR. I actually already saw this last year when I was doing the same 30-day writing challenge, so it's cool that it's still ongoing. The last round just wrapped up though, and the next one will be 3-4 months away. Oh well, I went ahead and tried/trying out the challenge.


The last round asked the participants to send fiction that begins with the sentence: "She closed the book, placed it on the table, and finally, decided to walk through the door." Below my initial attempt. It's not yet finished, but I hope when I'm done it can still be read in three minutes.

* * *

She closed the book, placed it on the table, and finally, decided to walk through the door. The soft click of the latch behind her broke the defeaning silence in the empty chamber in front of her. It has passed, she told herself, as she crossed the dim treshold. The second coming. Surely the master has finished the final judgment.

She had been waiting for this day to come. Until three months ago she had been living a life of sin, selling her body for food and a bed to sleep on for the night. And drugs. Mostly it's for the drugs. She needed something to numb her to continue doing what she was doing, after all. Not that she was ashamed about it then or anything. In fact, most of the time she had enjoyed it. But her body can only take so much.

When she had met the master during one of those nights, she thought it unusual for a man with kind blue eyes to approach her on her corner by the red light district. But he did, and he talked. And he revealed his true self to her. He is a messenger, he said as he opened his arms into a welcoming embrace. And he asked her if she would like to follow his path to salvation.

No comments: